Wednesday, January 6, 2010

BOM Alert

Last night I did a post about how I've been merrily working away sewing half square triangles for the BOM Star Crazy.

I got up early this morning to start piecing the HST into blocks.

Arrrgh! They didn't match up! I love paper piecing because they make the squares EXACT, even with the bias edges.
So what went wrong?

Here is your first tip when making this quilt: Read and follow ALL the instructions. On page 9 there is a test square. I saw it and didn't pay much attention because I have downloaded HST on my computer before and haven't had a problem.
When I got my trusty ruler out, guess what? The one-inch test pattern did not measure one-inch for me.
***So check your test pattern first before you begin to sew!
All computers download differently.

The pattern needs a lot of 2" and 1 1/2" half square triangles.
Fortunately I have a lot of these I can work with, and I have extra fabric.
Maybe I should have titled this post "Live and Learn".
A little embarrassing since I have taken it upon myself to lead this group! But I want you know, I am learning along with you, and even with this small set back, I'm having fun!
I will share with you my mistakes, and my successes.
In truth, I made this mistake just for you. Really.
*kathyg: you left a message on the comment section saying you want to join us, but you didn't leave an e-mail or a way to reach you. We'd love to have you along! Please send more information.