Thursday, May 6, 2010

May blocks

My daughter has been working day shift this week, so my evenings have been free to sew.
Here are my stars and Irish chains to date.
And the May blocks.
The feather star has tiny pieces. So glad I am doing the 1/2 square triangles using Sue's paper pattern. They would be much more difficult without. And yes, I too found that the background was missing the directions for 2 of the pieces. Be sure seams are exact, or the feathers won't end up matching the square in the middle.
Also a hint I learned a few years ago, that is working well with the background material. Since we already know we will be working with 1 1/2 inch, 2 1/2 inch, and 6 inch squares every month, I have cut a bunch of my material in strips of these 3. We also have a lot of 5 1/2 squares, so I have 1 strip of that also. I have them marked and in 1 qt storage bags, ready to cut to what I need for the next few months. And the fabric stays straight. Very little waste. Hope this helps someone else.
I have not done this with the colors, as I am using up my stash of fat quarters and am not sure what I will need from month to month of them. I don't seem to be wasting much, though, so I will continue to cut as needed.